2019 is right around the corner, and that means ringing in the New Year with resolutions!
Now, don’t go off running for the hills. Everyone knows that to achieve goals, especially big ones, we need a plan. So, I thought it’d be fun…okay, maybe not fun…important to get us looking at our writing and editing goals for the upcoming months. To do that, I’m going to post my mini-action plan for 2019 as a means of motivating you to get going on achieving your goals. And, I’d love to see your plan. So, if you are feeling bold (and want some friendly accountability), post yours in the comments section below.
Alright, let’s dive in…
What are my 2019 goals?
- Continue to build my freelance writing and editing business
- Produce and distribute my digital magazine, the Lost Pen Magazine
- Continue to outreach to and coach writers and other creatives
- Improve the influence and reach of my other website, the Christian Creative Nexus
What challenges am I facing right now?
- Not enough time to get everything done
- Feels like I have way too much to do: overwhelm
- Working on achieving my dreams while working full-time
How can I resolve those issues?
- Set goals (weekly, monthly) and regularly reassess them
- Create a list of resources and people to consult/collaborate with when I need help
- Find time to rest and disconnect when needed
Where do I want to be three-six months from now? 1 year from now?
- 3-6 months: have a steady stream of writing and editing jobs
- 1 year: freelancing full-time
- Evaluate the results at 3-6 months and then again at 1 year.
- Determine how close I came to my goals and evaluate my successes and failures.
- Create a new plan to build on my momentum while tweaking the areas I struggled in to better ensure success in the future.
There you have it. Of course the plan will change and be adapted as I progress over the year, but at least I have a tool to get me moving in the right direction. Also note that I identified my weaknesses/problem areas and then built into the plan simple strategies to address them (sections 2 and 3). I’m fully aware that I don’t know everything—just reading the marketing articles on LinkedIn for 10 minutes is enough to make my confidence shrivel and die!—so I’d rather be prepared to meet any obstacles by having solutions on hand.
I hope you’ll join me and meet 2019 firing on all cylinders by creating your own action plan. Remember, every day spent is a day we can’t retrieve. Don’t waste time. Instead, get moving!